The New Media Institute (NMI) is a research and fact finding organization whose mission is to improve public understanding of issues surrounding the Internet and other forms new media communications. NMI works directly with the news media, researchers, academics, government and industry professionals and serves as a primary resource of facts, statistics and analysis.
India Boasts World’s Second Fastest Growing Online Population
- Categorized in: New Media News
comScore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR), a leader in measuring the digital world, today released the 2013 India Digital Future in Focus report. The report provides a comprehensive overview of the Indian market and identifies the prevailing trends in web usage, online video, social networking and online advertising that are defining the Indian online landscape. Plus, a special spotlight covering online market trends in Online Retail, Travel, Entertainment, Real Estate, News and Information.
Key [March 2013] highlights from the 2013 India Digital Future in Focus include:
- At 73.9 million home and work internet users, the Indian online population currently ranks as the 3rd largest in the world after China and the U.S.
- With 75 percent of its internet users under the age of 35, India has the youngest skewing online population among BRIC countries.
- Across all age and gender groups, Women between the ages of 35-44 are the heaviest internet users in the Indian market.
- The Indian blogging audience grew 48 percent in the past year to 36 million visitors, while 26 percent of category traffic comes from mobile phones and tablets.
- 54 million internet users in India watched online videos on their computer, representing a 27-percent increase over the past year.
The 2013 India Digital Future in Focus report is part of our Future in Focus series. To get more detailed insights on the digital landscape for major markets around the world, please visit www.comscore.com/FutureinFocus2013.